The world is waiting to hear your story…
Hey! I’m Laura – chief storyteller at stories from a backpack.
This is my blog about life & travel, about stories & memories and how we can make the most out of this one beautiful precious life we have.
I am learning to write better stories and through writing better stories, I hope to live better stories. I’m building a community of travellers who have been irrevocably changed by their experiences and want to keep learning and moving forward, but not forgetting everything travel has taught them, does that sound like you? I believe, the best stories come out of a backpack and this blog is a place for you to share your stories and join the adventure.
The story so far…
I’m going to take you back to the year 2007. You know the year when Brittany went crazy, everyone wore 3/4 length leggings, the word emo was dropped into casual conversations and squeezing a digital camera into your tiny going out bag was the norm. I was in the midst of my A-levels, all my friends were talking about UCAS applications and I was busy saving and planning for an around the world trip.
I’d planned on having a gap year ever since I spent a summer in Cambodia. I’d smelt the freedom that travel gives you, I’d experienced the magic of a new culture and I’d tasted some of the possibilities that were only a plane ticket away. I bought a map and stuck on my wall, opposite my bed. I went to sleep dreaming of the world and I woke up each morning knowing exactly what I was working for. I spent that summer working over 60 hours a week in 3 jobs. I needed money to travel and I grafted. Side note – For people who think travel is an easy way out – it isn’t. All the people you see ‘living their best lives’ travelling the world – they worked bloody hard to get there!
That trip changed me. It was one of the first times I learnt the lesson of intuition and gut. I learnt how to follow my heart and I learnt about who I was and who I wanted to be. This was the spark that started stories from a backpack. I needed a place to document all these experiences, I needed to remember all these lessons I was learning. But most importantly, I needed a place where I could talk to other people who had been through the same transformative travel experience.
And then I did nothing.
My biggest travel regret My biggest life regret, is not writing it all down. So now I’m on a mission to document it all. Life goes by so quickly, we don’t remember most of it, but I want to dig deep and treasure my stories, share them and empower you to do the same. My biggest fear is looking back on my life and not being able to remember some of the most incredible parts.
Stories from a backpack is a place for all those restless souls. The wanderers who have returned and the explorers that aren’t quite ready to set sail. Let’s share all of it together.
More about Laura…
- If I’m not writing you’ll find me spinning plates. Trying to launch a new events business, wedding product, working my day job, renovating our new house and generally trying to survive turning 30.
- I’ve lived and worked in 7 countries, travelled to 27 countries and plan to conquer many more…
- My general attire is pyjamas and the way to my heart is through coffee, cake and Greys Anatomy or Gilmore girls box sets (happy to talk about these all day, or just tweet each other related Gif’s)
- Books make me happy and I feel very concerned if I don’t have a backup pile of 5 new books ready to read. I’ve started writing book reviews as part of my blog – check them out for those bookish souls who want to read more too.
- That feeling when you get off a plane, in a whole new country and it’s so warm, you breathe in the heat and know an adventure is about to start. That. That makes me so so happy.
- I’ve learnt life is all about the people you meet and the time you spend with them. I want to build a tribe. A community of travel lovers who have shared values.
- Upon turning 29, I finally discovered what I wanted to do with my life and now I’m fighting for it.
- Check out my travel bucket list.
Sounds good? Get involved…
My life has been filled with wonderful opportunities and very special people. I’m sure yours has too. I have had hardships and struggle. I have had love and laughter. I have learnt and I am forever making mistakes. But I want to remember it all. I would love to hear from you. To share your journey and your stories.
Check out our manifesto & closed community Facebook Group: