Why you should never eat a flaming coconut curry: 5 tips for staying healthy whilst travelling.
Do you worry about staying healthy while backpacking?
A curry, in a coconut. Who could refuse! Not only was my delicious Vietnamese curry cooked inside a whole coconut, with a lid – it was flaming, actually on fire! It had beautiful blue flame. It looked so amazing, exciting, dangerous. Whilst it was being brought to the table, everyone in the restaurant was looking at my intriguing meal. I couldn’t wait to delve in, and embrace a unique culinary experience. A flaming coconut curry. I should have known.
The beginning of the end.
It kind of smelt funny. A bit like petrol really. It kind of tasted funny. A bit like petrol really. You know when something tastes like it smells?
Fast forward about 24 hours. We had to check out of our sparkly new hotel, with a lovely clean bathroom. It was then I started to feel a bit funny. I felt so weak I wasn’t sure if I was going to faint or be sick. We then checked into our slightly grotty hotel. I got to know the bathroom very well.
Every time I went to throw up I got so light headed I had to lie against the cold hard tiles of the dirty bathroom floor. I spent the night half throwing up and half fainting. I couldn’t hold any water down. I was shaking continuously and, I was scared.
Just a bit of food poisoning.
The amazing thing about our bodies is that they can handle a lot. Even petrol smelling flaming coconut curries. I made it through the night, and then the next day I nibbled at some bread. I could hold down water and I knew everything was going to be fine.
Do you worry about staying healthy while backpacking? Do you even care? The first time I travelled the world I didn’t give it a second thought. However being ill while you are away from home is no fun! There are a few simple ways you can keep healthy while travelling.
1. Antibacterial Hand wash - Always wash your hands before you eat, and continuously through out the day. It is easy to forget, but it is worth doing.
2. Be grateful – Keeping healthy means looking after your mind too! Keep a gratitude journal, write down 3 things a day you are grateful for each day. Not only is it a great keepsake, it helps you realise how amazing each day is. Being grateful will keep your spirits up, it will help with your happiness and will bring a bit of light on those dark days when you miss home.
3. Drink lots of water! It is so easy to dehydrated very quickly. Work on sipping water throughout the day. It will give you lots of energy.
4. Sleep. Your body needs rest. It can be really tiring walking all day, sightseeing and travelling on night buses. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Travelling through different time zones can take its toll on your body clock. Hostels are not conducive to a good nights sleep. Treat yourself occasionally to a private room and get a really good nights sleep.
5. Take vitamins – eating cheap food often means its slightly unhealthy. Taking a multivitamin can help give your body all the things it needs.
…and watch out for those flaming coconut curries! In case you wondered this dish was found in Nha Trang, Vietnam. Have you had a similar experience? What tips can you recommend for staying health whilst travelling?