As a backpacker you will run out of money and eventually you will need to get a job! If you want to stay and see the world, you’ll do it. I’ve delivered leaflets, raked gardens, washed cars and sold time share. Be brave. Be open to new things. Life will surprise you. The people I met, made it worthwhile.
Whilst travelling and working in Australia I struggled to find a job, and after the threat of returning to England loomed I was so excited to get work – even if it was on full commission. I worked in marketing selling time share appointments and a private members holiday club. All through giving out free scratch cards….
Some days I worked on the Esplanade, looking over the beach and straight at the ocean. I would work outside, standing in the sunshine and soaking up the atmosphere. Those were the days.
Life is like a scratch card?
I’ve never worked on full commission before. I am so proud of myself when look back on this. I was successful. I had fun. I sold, I closed. I won. Sales. It is a constant competition, a battle. A war against yourself. You have to believe in yourself. Motivation is key. And it is all on you.
I’m writing to remember and this is a period of my life I never want to forget. I learnt a lot about sales, but I also learnt a lot about life:
- Everyday has new hope. What a great lesson to learn. So, you had a bad day. Tomorrow you will work twice as hard.
- You learn fast and you learn hard. I hope I can always have this adaptability. If we stop learning we stop moving.
- You are only as good as your last sale. You are only as good as your last shift. Never settle. Never give up.
- I learnt to love people. People just want to be acknowledged. If you aren’t going to get sale, make someone’s day.
- Real life is hard. It’s not glamorous. Standing all day, talking, smiling. If you don’t work, you don’t get paid. Its exhausting. Persistence. Push through the pain barrier.
- Life – there is a bit of luck involved.
- Rejection. Rejection is hard. It punches you in the face very single time. It doesn’t get any easier but you no what it feels like, so you can be ready.
- “Keep aiming for the ‘no’s’, the more ‘no’s you get – it just means your closer to your ‘yes’.”
- Everyday I was excited to go to work, because the possibilities were endless. I always want to be excited to go to work. . I want to see the opportunity in every day.
- And finally, I learnt how to close…
Anything is possible. Its terrifying, but if you want it if you really want it so bad that your life depends on it. You can do it. You can do anything for a time.